1. Dissolve alum in 1/2 cup water, set aside. Dissolve lime in 1 litre of water, strain with a
clean cloth, twice if required.
2. Peel pumpkin, discard seeds and mushy centre. Cut into 1″ x 2″ x 1″ rectangular blocks or as desired.
3. Prick all over with a metal skewer or fork. Put pieces in lime water. Soak for 30-35
4. Drain, wash under clean running water for 2-3 minutes. Put in a bowl, sprinkle alum water on top and shake to coat all pieces evenly.
5. Drain and boil pieces in a large heavy pan, until a little soft and exuding water.
6. Make a syrup of sugar and 2 cups water, until 2 1/2 thread consistency.
7. Put drained pumpkin pieces in syrup and boil until syrup becomes thick again. Keep covered with mesh, overnight.
8. Remove pumpkin, boil syrup again until thick, return pumpkin, and reboil for 3-4 minutes. Drain out excess syrup, sprinkle with kewra essence and rose water. Cool completely, refrigerate.
A young cook from Minnesota, she is gluten-free and has shared many delicious, healthy, and gluten-free recipes. This was great for our campaign with Generation Rescue as many autistic children are on gluten and casein free diets.