Best Ever Meatballs and Gravy!
Ingredients[+] Add all ingredients
1 egg [+]
1/2 cup milk [+]
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs [+]
1/2 teaspoon salt [+]
1/2 teaspoon pepper [+]
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder plus a pinch [+]
1 teaspoon dried Thai basil (regular basil can be used) [+]
1/2 cup whiskey [+]
1 cup chicken stock or water [+]
2 tablespoons butter, softened [+]
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour [+]
salt and pepper, to taste [+]
1. In a large mixing bowl, place meat, egg, milk, bread crumbs and spices. Using your hands, mix everything together. Mix well but don't over mix.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the meat into balls using the palm of your hand. Roll all the balls the same size, as much as possible. The number of balls and cooking time will depend on the size ball you make. I like small to medium size balls.
3. In an oven safe skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Place balls in skillet and place in the oven. Bake, turning every so often, to evenly brown all sides. Bake until meat is cooked through and the temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove meat from the pan and keep warm on the stove top. Using the same skillet, very carefully add the whiskey. Stir the pan to deglaze over medium heat cook down about 5 minutes.
5. Mix flour and butter together forming a small ball. Add chicken stock to the pan. Stir in flour ball and continue stirring until gravy thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper, return meatballs to pan, and lightly cover. Return pan to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until everything is heated through. Serve over egg noodles and enjoy.
A young cook from Minnesota, she is gluten-free and has shared many delicious, healthy, and gluten-free recipes. This was great for our campaign with Generation Rescue as many autistic children are on gluten and casein free diets.