Authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Ingredients[+] Add all ingredients
4 cardamoms (brown) [+]
4-5 cloves [+]
7-8 black peppercorns [+]
1 small piece cinnamon [+]
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds [+]
2 green cardamoms [+]
1/2 kg small potatoes [+]
4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) [+]
4-5 bay leaves [+]
a pinch asafoetida [+]
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste [+]
1 medium sized onion, grated [+]
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder [+]
1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder [+]
salt, to taste [+]
2 cups plain yogurt [+]
1/2 cup milk [+]
coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish [+]
1. Grind coriander seeds, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, caraway seeds, and green cardamoms to make fine powder.
2. Peel the potatoes and prick them.
3. Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat for about one minute. Fry the potatoes until they are golden. Set aside.
4. Add bay leaves, asafoetida, ginger-garlic paste, and grated onion. Fry until the paste becomes reddish brown and the mixture starts separating from the oil.
5. Add the spice mixture from step1 and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add milk to make a gravy.
7. Add yogurt, and stir continuously. If you find the gravy too thick, add some water.
8. Add potatoes to the gravy and cook until tender.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
A young cook from Minnesota, she is gluten-free and has shared many delicious, healthy, and gluten-free recipes. This was great for our campaign with Generation Rescue as many autistic children are on gluten and casein free diets.